Thursday, March 5, 2015

WRITING QUOTE - March 5, 2015

"In the best fiction, the language itself can become almost invisible."

- Robert Morgan - 

The authors I find memorable, the one's I want to read again and again, accomplish this, in my opinion. When reading their books I become lost in the story instead of the language describing the story. 

Then there are other works of fiction where I am constantly reminded I am reading: the language is disjointed at times, jolting me out of the book to the point of my realizing I am only holding the book and not the actual character in the book living the story, or at least not the extremely involved observer watching it all happen.

My goal is to accomplish invisibility in my own writing, and, at times, I believe I do. Sometimes I will read a couple of chapters before the one I'm working on, to get a sense of the story again, to remember each characters voice and who they are, and I will "come to" later, having gotten pulled into the story, oblivious of the language describing it.

This invisibility could also be associated with living a "good" life, when we are able to see past the details of what we're doing, even our whacked-machinations of doing life (thinking we have some kind of power in all host of manners), to the transition of feeling life--its beauty and grace, and with it the gratitude of having a life worth living.


No comments:

Post a Comment