Monday, March 23, 2015

WRITING QUOTE - March 23, 2015

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."

- H. P. Lovecraft - 

When I experience fear I have a deep instinctual need to fix whatever I perceive to be broken or to blame someone else; the latter always seems a much better option, because than I don't have to take responsibility for any of it, just in case it all goes south.

Fear for me is a lack of facts, or more like me not looking at the facts of a situation. Once I'm able to separate the facts from my feelings, I can begin to settle into what is real than what is manifesting in my mind. Then I can take action, even if the action I need to take is nothing other than praying, taking a walk, calling a friend, taking a nap, eating food, reading a book, or playing music.

Of course, there are times where I have specific action to take in relation to my problem, but it never seems to be in the way I think. Once the facts of the situation are known, my responsibility is limited to only what I can do, not what someone else needs to do. It truly does not bode well for me or others if I do for them, what they can do for themselves.

Now, fear of the unknown, which ultimately permeates the above mentioned fear, is more terrifying, because I falter in doubt when trying something new. My mind tells me it won't work or it won't turn out well or no one will like it or someone will make fun of me for it or whatever, because my brain can come up with all kinds of what-if-scenarios when its marinating in fear of the unknown.

What do I do? I stay with the facts the best I can, pray, talk with a friend, and keep trudging. Because truly, what do I have to lose?


No comments:

Post a Comment