Wednesday, March 4, 2015

WRITING QUOTE - March 4, 2015


"I paint very messy. I throw paint around. So when I let myself do the same sort of thing with my writing, and I would just write and write and write and revise, that's when I found my rhythm in writing." 

- Erin Morgenstern - 

I used to have a lot of ideas on how I should write and what it should look like and so on. Then, one day, I was reading an article about an author I enjoy, Diana Gabaldon, and she said something to the affect of "writing needed to be fun." 

What a novel idea, having fun. Who would have thought. 

Bang! I stopped and realized I wasn't having any fun writing and hadn't been for quite some time. Why? Because I was too caught up in doing it right or trying to arrive somewhere where I thought others wanted me to be. 

All I needed to do was have fun with my writing. Write from where I was, with my own ability as it was, without demand for it to be anything other than it was until it changed on its own. 

Kind of like what Morgenstern found for herself, when she just let it be she found her writing, or as she put it, "my rhythm in writing."

Now, I write, toss the critic aside, until later when she's needed, and just write and have fun doing it. Imagine.





No comments:

Post a Comment