Monday, March 16, 2015

WRITING QUOTE - March 16, 2015

"As a little girl, I didn't like stories about little girls. I liked stories about dragons and beasts and princes and princesses and fear and terror and the Four Musketeers and almost anything other than nice little girls making moral decisions about whether to tell the teacher about what the other little girl did or did not do."

- A. S. Byatt -

One of my favorite books from grade school was The View from the Cherry Tree by Willo Davis Roberts. This young boy sits in the cherry tree in his front yard and witnesses a murder. Of course, no one believes him and he tries to prove what happened and so on and so on. Loved it!

And then it wasn't before long I was infatuated with Stephen King and other such authors that like to scare the pants right off of you. Pet Cemetery was one such book. I remember staying the night at my aunts, sleeping in the living room in my sleeping bag, reading this book, while my aunt's black cat kept circling me. Before long I had to hide in the sleeping bag, desperately afraid her black cat was the black cat in the book. Scary!

Even now I primarily read stories that raise the hair on the back of my neck. Even when I write a story death and murder, or just plain strange-happenings, show up and take the characters on a completely different ride than I was intending.  


No comments:

Post a Comment