Tuesday, March 3, 2015

WRITING QUOTE - March 3, 2015

"It comes back to all of the things we've been talking about. It's quality. It's telling a story in the most compelling way possible. It's being mindful of the fact that you are telling this story for someone to consume--so are you telling a story that somebody wants to consume? It's being willing to offer that promise: Give me your ten hours and I will deliver an experience that warrants your time and energy."

- Jennifer Joel, literary agent - 

I was flipping through the newest issue of Poets & Writers this afternoon and landed on an article, Agents & Editors: Jennifer Joel's Advice for Smart Authors, and got stuck. Stuck in a good way, of course. The quote above was one of the one's that resonated with me. 

I am currently in the revision process of my book, They Whisper, and I get antsy to be done. I have to remind myself to stay with the words, the chapter's purpose, the characters, the scene, and remember I am the conduit for the story to be told through. 

The information of the story that any reader needs has to be given a voice. The information won't magically appear because I know it to be true; hence, the need for a conduit.

For me, writing is very much so a love story; I have to be fully invested to the point of driving myself crazy. Today was one of those days of craziness or, at least, the onset of craziness, because I couldn't put in my writing time without squirming in my seat. 

But I did it. 

And that seems to be what Joel is getting at: quality requires time, effort, and honesty. I can put in all the effort and time I want, but if I'm not honest about the story itself, is it enticing enough to read, than I will miss my mark every time.






No comments:

Post a Comment