Friday, November 21, 2014

WRITING QUOTE - November 21, 2014

The most important thing is to read as much as you can, like I did. It will give you an understanding of what makes good writing and it will enlarge your vocabulary.

- J. K. Rowling -

I'm surrounded by books, in every niche and cranny of my home. As a child books were my best friends. I always had a book with me and would usually wind up in a corner or on the couch reading. I'm still this way, except not as self-centered about it. Before I didn't know how to be with the family or hang out with others; I preferred the "family" I had in between the pages of the latest book I was reading. 

I still carry a book with me, in my purse, always ready for a moment when I can read. But I've learned to balance reading with lifting my eyes from the page to see what's before me--people, colors, smells, sounds--to be more available to my own story that's playing out before me. I used to want to hide in books, find another world that better suited what I wanted out of life. 

Now books are a part of me, instead of the other way around. I can benefit from their words and wisdom, humor and scariness, style of writing and voice, and carry those things into my own world. My "understanding of what makes good writing" grows, along with my vocabulary. 

Plus, reading is a pleasure, regardless of what I "get" from it.


No comments:

Post a Comment