Monday, November 17, 2014

WRITING QUOTE - November 17, 2014

Writing books is certainly a most unpleasant occupation. It is lonesome, unsanitary, and maddening. Many authors go crazy.

 - H. L. Mencken -


Most things could be included under this statement. Even when I'm with others--laughing, talking, chatting--I am alone, in my head, thinking of things to say and not to say (there are always those, things not to say). Sometimes the loneliest I have felt is in the middle of a room surrounded by people, friends, acquaintances, and strangers. 

But that is what writing a book is like--a room full of people, some known, some not yet. I sidle up to my computer, click my writing program open, and begin conversing with these book-people. Ultimately, people in my head, but people nonetheless. Maddening for sure.





No comments:

Post a Comment