Thursday, November 20, 2014

WRITING QUOTE - November 20, 2014

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at the typewriter and bleed.

- Ernest Hemingway - 


Yes, bleed we do. That is one of my challenges in writing, the amount I'm willing to bleed. I find myself believing that what I've written is enough. I don't have to go further, because to go further is to feel more than what I've already felt in relation to whatever I've written, and what I've already felt should be enough. 

It rarely is.

I'm not talking just about feeling my own feelings, but feeling the feelings of my characters. I've found, for myself, when I think I've reached my limit, I have to come back, sit, and dig deeper than I figured. 

And then, there it is. The moment--when I see, feel, hear, taste, and smell what my characters do. It's tangible and potent. But the blood's got to flow. 


No comments:

Post a Comment