Wednesday, November 19, 2014

WRITING QUOTE - November 19, 2014

Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful ones is a lot of hard work.

- Stephen King - 

I grew up with Stephen King, not literally like he lived down the street from me, but as an avid reader. I read almost all of his books, and am still reading his work. I read his writing, because I relate to his characters, some of them, the way they think, and I like how the stories roll, the places they take me, sometimes to dingy and sordid spots that somehow make sense to me.

I also appreciate his thoughts on writing. I've had various people over the years, teachers, strangers, family, and friends, tell me I have something when it comes to writing. Don't stop writing, they say. But all of that doesn't add up to much if I don't jump in with my effort and both feet. 

Writing is work, plain and simple. Rewarding beyond belief, but fleeting. Each day is a day of showing up, regardless of what my head says, because some days it says, "What the f#@*k are you thinking? Stop now!" And then there are other days, where my head says, "This is good. Oh, this is real good."

Either way, I keep writing, because, really, when it comes down to the bones of it, I love to write. And I will write, even if I decide to quit. I will eventually pick up my pen, while sitting in a cafe, drinking coffee, and waiting for a friend to show. I will slip a napkin under the tip of my pen, doodling first, and then the words will begin again, flowing, like they never stopped.

I might as well put in the work and accept the inevitability of it all. Writing is me. No one else has to tell me that or agree with that, just me.


No comments:

Post a Comment