Tuesday, December 9, 2014

WRITING QUOTE - December 9, 2014

When you're reading, you're not where you are; you're in the book. By the same token, I can write anywhere.

- Diana Gabaldon - 

There have been times when I've thought, "I should stop writing. I'm no good at it." And I have stopped, or, at least, tried. I've set down my pen in all seriousness, but then, a little while later, sitting at a stoplight, a story begins to unravel in my mind and the urge to write, to create is there, tangible, undeniably powerful. I pull out napkin, envelope, whatever can be written on, and I write, laying down the words and images formulating in my brain, like a last dying wish.

It has become clear to me, whether I believe I'm any good at writing or not, which really depends on the day, is not the most important part of my writing. My writing is me. To deny my writing is to deny a large part of me. And, really, that doesn't seem like the most pleasant way to live, so I write. 

Hence, the quote above, primarily, "I can write anywhere." This is true for me. No matter where I'm at, whether I have pen (or computer) in hand or not, I can write and will, as if there's a glitch with the off-switch. Writing, story-making, whatever I want to call it, is part of me and with me for however long I live.

No comments:

Post a Comment