Wednesday, April 15, 2015

MUSINGS OF THE DAY - April 15, 2015

"When we were children, we used to think that when we were grown-up we would no longer be vulnerable. But to grow up is to accept vulnerability . . . To be alive is to be vulnerable."

- Madeleine L'Engle - 

One of my greatest fears, vulnerability. And yet, to have a life, one that is fulfilling and loving and creative, vulnerability is essential. 

For a number of years I believed being vulnerable was a weakness of sorts, a human characteristic to be eradicated from my person. 

Today, I believe my vulnerability allows me to connect with other people and to enjoy laughter and love, and peace of mind. When I offer myself as I am, without shielding someone from what I perceive as bad or unwanted, I grow into the woman I want to be. 

I begin to see the world in a way that is not black and white and all or nothing. I'm able to see how murky and messy life is and how all of that imperfection gives life its beauty and grace. 

I don't have to mark vulnerability as my greatest fear anymore, though I still have times where my reaction to a life event or new friend, or even an old one, stems from that same fear. 

Again choices. I can choose to stay hidden from myself and others, not wanting to voice my vulnerability, or I can step from the shadows, knowing that I am safe even when I'm at my most vulnerable.

Today, I step forward.





No comments:

Post a Comment